We know what St. Peter’s looked like in approximately 1535 because of a drawing by Maarten van Heemskerck. The new construction did not show much progress since Bramante’s death in 1514. To the left is a part of the earlier construction in which the nave and aisles are still visible (as well as Sangallo’s dividing wall). On the other side of the building site, the top of the obelisk can still be seen in its original location. One of the Confession’s spiral columns is visible through a window.